Monday, November 27, 2017

Turn Yourself AROUND!

Learn to Laugh and Turn Yo-self around!!!!
Well today my good friend Andrea and I decided to hit up Hobby Lobby in the good Ol' US of A! I usually love to drive because I like to be in control, but she has a new set of wheels so was eager to put some miles on it. Now, I need to preface this story by giving you some important information. One thing about my friend is she loves to talk to herself. Whether she's mixing your hair colour, throwing a party and making food, or driving, you WILL hear her rebuke or encourage herself. This is one of the funniest things about her. You'll often hear things like, "Oh Andrea, come on! Andrea you can do it, Oh Andrea, not that way!' Now, back to my story... So today we went to Hobby Lobby and spent over 2 hours in there. Walking the isles, breaking horns of deer, and asking the poor sales associate to please take another big item to cash. Finally it was time to check out, we had a young man roll the trolly to the door where we packed the van to the gills.
We had dinner, then geared up to head home. You know how it goes as you start approaching the border you plead with the Lord for favour. Well, it never fails, I always end up in the slowest line. Finally it was our turn, we pulled up to the window and the guard was great. She asked us where we live, what we bought, how much we spent, if we had any alcohol, tabaco, firearms etc..etc..etc.. Seeing as we each spent well over our daily limit, we were told to pull off to the right and to go inside to give the guards more detailed information about what we spent and to pay taxes. (Let's just talk quickly again about how official the border is. They have the ability to rip EVERYTHING out of your car, including you. No one really smiles and the guards are wearing vests and strapped with firearms.) Back to my story... So Andrea has NEVER been pulled in before. So as we pull away from the booth and are to be pulling to the right, she doesn't get into lane farthest to the right. She starts driving up the ONE WAY EXIT! Oh man, believe me when I say I was trying my hardest to to tell her to go right, but I couldn't communicate as got struck with fear and laughter. I could NOT contain myself, I was done! I LITERALLY had to cross my legs for fear I was going to pee myself! I was trying my hardest to point but I could no longer see as the tears were streaming down my face. I couldn't even get my laugh out because it was sooo intense and SOO funny. The more I saw painted arrows on the road going the opposite way we were, the more I I died laughing. Sure enough, Andrea begins, 'Oh Andrea, what are you doing? Oh no! Oh Andrea, you're going the wrong way! " Game OVERRR!!! The more she talked to herself, the harder I laughed...I honestly thought I was going to have to get out of the car with wet pants. Then I see it, I see the guards walking briskly towards us. Their chests are puffed ooouutt!! The closer they got the more I lectured myself in my head. 'Pull it together, Paton!' The more I lectured myself, the harder I laughed. They started to approach my window. I tried my best to get composed and to apologize for our ever so evident mishap. I think my tears of laughter and Andrea's white face was enough to allow these kind guards to extend us mercy.
I couldn't help but instantly parallel this to our lives. How many times have we been given instructions and gone the wrong way? How many times have we lectured ourselves when we've realized we missed the route we were to take? Sometimes it's accidental, sometimes it's because we think we know a better way. Regardless, God comes to us where we're at extends his mercy.
I think if when we missed the mark, we sought forgiveness and learned to laugh at ourselves instead of shame ourselves we could quickly put ourselves into park, turn around and go the right way a LOT quicker!
Know that God isn't waiting to haul us in to strip us of everything. He's quickly walking towards us, trying to get our attention and trying to get us realigned on the right path!
1John 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.

No comments: